Saturday, August 25, 2012

Time Keeps on Ticking

Pin It      So, a long while ago I wrote about falling off the blogging wagon. Well, I did it again. So much so that the wagon left without me and I had to start walking to find it. I did try out a new wagon, called wordpress, but you know, I just am not that tech savvy, and had no desire to figure it all out. So I posted once, and I'll post it here, just for consistency, but honestly, I did one blog in the spring and that was it. So it's here for you to read, and I'll update you in the next post!

      You know those people who are always a ball of energy and seem to be able to get a massive amount of things done in their day? Well, I'm not one of them. I seem to be a low energy person; it's not depression, and it's not a medical issue (other than slight anemia, everything seems to be fine). I don't consider myself lazy either, most days. I just don't seem to have enough energy to make my body do all that my mind wants to. I'm trying to improve my eating habits, so maybe I'll make a discovery there. In the meantime, I just need to push along and do the best I can. Keeping in mind the balance that I'm trying to achieve, I've decided to figure out just how much time I have in a day and what I am wasting all of my time on.


I saw something on Pinterest today that said, "Every day we decide on who we will be by the actions we take."  [A bit ironic that while I'm thinking of all the things I waste my time on, Pinterest quotes start coming to mind.....(where's that whistling emoticon when I need it?)] Well, I want to be an energetic person who can get everything done on the to-do list in a day, and not waste any of the time God's given me. I hope that I can figure out how to do it and not fall back into bad habits.

So, I need to figure out my time.

I think I sleep longer than I probably need to. It seems I am a bit of a slave to circadian rhythms. Once the sun is gone, I am sleepy. Thank goodness spring is here; I find myself waking up earlier! I should really try to get in the habit of being in bed by 10:00 and up by at least 6:00. That's a full eight hours. I find if I can get up in the morning, I'm much more productive.
I wonder if this can work:

6:00:
  • wake up, make bed (less temptation to get back in that way, right?)
  • read scriptures for 20 minutes. That should put me on a good note.
  • meditate for 10 minutes.
Oh, darn, this is where things get messy. My husband works weird shifts, and if he's up, I usually help him with his meals for the day. Most can be done the night before, but the green smoothies he takes just don't last well through the night, so they're a must make in the morning. Hmmm.....ok. Well, I guess I just do it and carry on.

6:50
  • put a load of laundry in.
  • workout for 20 minutes. You workout gurus will tell me that that's not enough. Well, it's better than what I've been doing. Baby steps, right?
7:15
  • put laundry in the dryer
  • hit the shower, get dressed and brushed--who am I kidding--this will take more than 15 minutes, but I can overlap a few minutes to, say 7:45
7:30
  • kids get up, so I need to help them stay on track.
8:00
  • pull out laundry, fold, and put away! (ok, laundry is the bane of my existence. I can never find matches to socks. Ever. I have baskets of unmatched socks. I have tried to buy them all matching, but for some reason, it is hard to find a package of socks for kids that are all the same. Laundry baskets are always full of something at my house, and my laundry room floor hasn't seen the light of day in months. I.Hate.Laundry. So much so, that if it weren't for the cruel things gravity is doing to me, I would probably run off and join a nudist colony.)
8:30
  • get girls off to school
  • tidy from breakfast
9:00
  • take the boy to school
9:30
  • come home/ go to office and work
11:05
  • go pick up boy from school
11:30
  • feed boy and me lunch
12:00
  • set boy up with some quiet things. (He needs to prep for kindergarten.)
  • do some housework
  • prep for supper
1:00
  • since I'm totally getting tired already just looking at this, (I know, it's not a lot, but gimme a break!), maybe a nap would be in order here, or at least some quiet time.
2:00
  • get supper ready to go. If it's an easy meal, maybe some more housework? (See, I'm already wondering what to do with all of my time. It seems I have so much!)
  • file any papers that need to go away. (Ok, next to laundry, filing papers is the bane of my existence)
  • get an after school snack ready for the kids.
  • If I have more real estate work to do, now would be the time.
  • I guess if I was really on top of things and had nothing to do, I could do something fun, like make some soaps or lip balms, or something else I might like to take up as a hobby. After I've completely de-cluttered my house, of course. Yeah, who am I kidding? Will I ever get the house de-cluttered??)
4:00
  • kids come home. All sense of peace goes out the window.
4:45-6:00 ( this is a window. We don't eat for over an hour.)

This is really where I have issues. I know that dinner should be ready by about 5 for them, especially when there are activities, but sometimes, we just don't get to eat until 6:30, or even 7! I mean, how can I expect them to start getting ready for bed at 7:30 when I haven't even fed them.
I just don't even think I can go any farther because every night is different with hubby's work schedule and kid's activities, but the goal would be to get them all ready for the next day and getting ready for bed, and family prayer by 7:30, leaving the girls to read for about half and hour and the boy going to bed then, and giving dear husband and I some time to ourselves, or me time to do showings, before getting up to do it all again the next day. This does not sound that hard, so why is the application so difficult? Anyone have any great advice?

No comments: