Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tater Tot Casserole

Pin It I had never tried tater tot casserole until last night. I know it's a popular American dish, but, as far as I know, not so much in Canada. I heard Michelle Duggar talking about it once on her show, and I thought, well, if she can feed her 18 kids on that, it must be economical and kid pleasing.

 I found a recipe on Pinterest from Craving Comfort.
 I'm copying it exactly how she has it on her site, but for pictures, head on over there.

Tater-Tot Casserole
SERVES 4
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of celery or cream of chicken soup (undiluted)
  • 1 16oz package frozen tater tots
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • salt & pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Brown ground beef. season with salt & pepper.
  3. Add chopped onion, cook until tender.
  4. In a casserole dish, combine ground beef mixture & cream soup.
  5. Top mixture with tater tots.
  6. Bake , uncovered, for 30-40 minutes till bubbly and Tots are golden brown.
  7. remove from oven & top with cheese, return to oven until melted.
  8. Enjoy!
TIPS -
This casserole freezes great!
Just put it together then freeze until ready to bake. (adjust cooking times accordingly)

I always double or triple this one! It re-heats beautifully!

  It was pretty good. Everyone liked the tater tots the best. I doubled the recipe and put it in my biggest casserole dish. My only problem was that I didn't really double the tater tots because I figured the bottom layer of tater tots would turn to mush. I put just enough to cover the meat. Definitely a mistake. I think next time, if I double it, I will put it in two casserole dishes. I have five in my family, and we don't mind leftovers, so I thought doubling was a good idea, but here's a warning: this stuff is good enough for seconds, and maybe thirds, BUT, then all of a sudden it hits you! You will be instantly, and uncomfortably full. It's like it sits quietly in your belly for a while, and then expands like crazy and by the time you realize you are full, you've already overeaten. You've been warned. Enjoy!

No comments: