Saturday, August 25, 2012

Saturday Musings with a side of Apple Fritters

Pin It     Ok, so last post I said I would let you know how my little "schedule" went. I think it lasted about a week, Darn it. I realize now, that since the Beast starts kindergarten in a little less than two weeks, I'm going to have to revamp everything. For instance, now that all of the kids will be in school, I will be able to go every week to the meeting at my brokerage. (Oh, yeah, for anyone that didn't know, I spent part of my blogging hiatus getting my real estate license. If you or anyone know needs a Realtor in or around Winnipeg, I can help. If you live further away, I can refer you to a great realtor; you want to make sure you've got one looking out for you, not them.)

Anyway, back to the subject. I have a really hard time getting my kids into their own rooms for quiet time by 7:30. Maybe it was a pipe dream, but if I was seriously going to go to bed at 10, I need my downtime without my kids for a bit. Are you with me on this, or am I on another planet to think that I might get some time to myself that didn't require me to workout or clean? Cuz, really, I hate both of those. Not my idea of a good time!

Guess I'll have to rework it a bit, but hey, it's a starting point. Have I mentioned that I am kind of dreading the first day of school this year? It's like a glimpse of what empty nest syndrome is all about. I'm getting misty eyed just thinking about it. This is why I got my real estate license--so that I won't be wallowing in my sorrows that all of my kids are getting too big for my liking. :*(

Right now all of the kids are outside. Bean has a friend over. The are making "dinner" in the yard-grass, apples, dirt. Well, whatever, at least I won't have to cook tonight, right? And, it's giving me time to blog. Win-win, I say.

I did make them a little snack today. Bean wanted some apple fritters. A long time ago, I printed this recipe from allrecipes. I adapted when I first made it and they were delish! Second time around, I did it a little differently. They didn't turn out as well, but I know why. I'll fill you in as we go.

Here's my version of Apple Fritters:
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg 
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt* 
2 eggs
1 cup of milk
about 2 quarts of oil for deep frying**
4 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped***

*I just realized as I was writing this, that I forgot to add the salt in today. I won't omit it again; I think it really improves the flavour.

**  I use good ol' canola oil. It doesn't import a lot of flavour into the finished product, and it works well at high temps.

*** The original recipe called for them to be sliced to make rings. I figured that it would be hard to keep the batter on the rings, so instead, I saved myself the headache and just chopped them. Make sure to chop them small. I made the mistake of cutting big chunks today. I will definitely remember to cut them into much smaller pieces next time, so that they can cook and not end up with raw apple.

(The original recipe calls for dusting them with powdered sugar. I have a hard time doing that without making a mess, and the kids end up looking ghostly after they eat, so instead I make a glaze.)

Glaze:

1 cup icing sugar (confectioners/powdered/whatever. It's all one in the same for those newbie bakers out there)
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 Tablespoons water

Mix the icing sugar and cornstarch together. Add the water. Stir until smooth. Set aside until apple fritters come out of the pan and drizzle how you like.


Directions:

1. Chop the apples into small pieces. I like to mix up a bit of cinnamon with some sugar and coat the apples before I put them into the batter. Today I used about 1 Tbsp. sugar to about 1 tsp. cinnamon, but do what looks good to you. It's not a make it or break it step. I can't be sure this was the ratio I used last time.

2. Pour oil into a medium to large saucepan. Turn to medium heat and wait until temp is 325-350 degrees.*/**

3. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, spices and salt.

4. In a separate bowl, crack the eggs, and stir in milk. Stir until blended.
 
5. Stir milk into flour mixture until smooth.

6. Stir apples into batter. 
This is where I realized my apple sizing mistake--of course, the moment it is too late. Those chunks do end up being far too big.

7. Drop by spoonfuls into heated oil. fry a few at a time. Turn them once, and when they are golden brown all over, pull out with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels. Dab excess oil off. Place on plate or in tray and glaze. 
This was way too hot!! They ended up being the really dark ones. As you can see, the oil is at 400 degrees. I had to pull it off the element. For me, just a touch to the left of five on the element dial seems to be the magic spot. I just always forget to heat at the beginning and then crank it to high to get it warm, and then wait too long to turn it back down. The temp keeps climbing for a bit before it settles out.

7. Eat as soon as they are cool enough to not burn your mouth but still warm. They are best warm.
Can you see the difference in colour? The first ones on the towel were cooked at a lower temp.



*(I have a pot set that has three or four sizes and then a giant one for pasta n' stuff. I don't use the giant one, but the largest of the "smaller" ones, so that I get a good sized circumference, but not so deep that I will burn myself trying to get things out.)

**Be watchful of the temp of the oil. If you don't have a thermometer, just put it at medium and when the oil spits when you put a drop of water in, it's ready. (Although, full disclosure here: I have never remembered to put the oil on at the beginning. I am not sure that it will heat to the desired temp without putting it on high for at least a little while. Try it, and let me know, would ya? Thanks!) The original recipe calls for 375 degrees, (which I started with today) but the fritters come out really dark and have a slightly burnt taste. I've found 325-350 to be much more favourable.


All in all, today's batch were not as good as the first time around. I am sure it is because:

a. I forgot the salt.

b. I cut the apples way too big.

c. I waited too long before I turned on the element, and then got it too hot. 

 The family still liked them, but I'm pretty sure that there are a few left, whereas last time, I literally could not cook them fast enough.

Well, I'm hungry, and this post is far too long. If you got to the end--well, I'm sorry I took up so much of your time, but I hope you enjoy the recipe!

Guess I'd better go find out what kind of exotic concoction the kids came up with for supper. 

2 comments:

carizolli said...

I LOVE apple fritters! I think I'm going to have to make these!

Elle said...

When you do, let me know how they turn out!